Very interesting report about the use and reuse of textile products in the Netherlands. Especially interesting findings for me are about the disposal of products, as I’m writing my master thesis about this topic.
– 3 garments per person are discarded in the supply chain (before arriving to consumers) annually.
– Each Dutch inhabitant throws away approximately 40 clothes per year, whereof:
- 24 pieces are thrown away in general household waste and they are therefore incinerated;
- 5 are collected separately but they are not suitable for reuse, so they can be recycled;
- 2 are rewearable according to consumers, but not for international second-hand standards;
- finally, 9 of these garments are suitable for the international second-hand market.